Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Black Wolf

National Geographic is one of my favorite channels of all time. While browsing through channels, I always pause on that one to see what's on. The other day, there was a commercial for children's books about animals. They showed a book about wolves. And there on the screen, I swore was Sasha staring back at me. Sometimes, I wonder...

Angel is purebred, so there's no mistaking her yorkie ways. Sasha was rescued, however. We have no idea what breed she is. Even the vet is unable to determine, although she thinks that since Sasha's tail curls upward onto her back, that she is some sort of chow mix. But even then, she wouldn't commit to labeling her that.

After watching that commercial on National Geographic, I went to look up pictures of black wolves...


Picture of a black wolf taken from the web

Another photo of a black wolf


Picture of Sasha taken last December

As you can see, the only difference is the tail. Sometimes, I wonder if there isn't a wolf in my back yard. The similarities don't end there, either. She is totally afraid of humans. Even babies. She is very territorial. Although she won't leave the yard, she gets pissed if anyone goes near it. Sometimes she even barks at me. Granted, I tell her to shut up and she does, but still. Even when she's guarding the yard, she does it from a distance. There's no way she'd ever go up to a human at the fence, unless it was family. And even then, there are some family members she keeps her distance from. My brother scares the hell out of her. He's never been anything but nice to her, but she won't go near him. I can't take her for walks, because she is afraid of people. I can't take her to the park. I can't even take her to the vet. Chris has to do it. Being the "leader of the pack", he's the only one she will listen to when she is scared out of her mind.

We have to make special arrangements when it comes to her. She was the one thing I worried about the most when we went on vacation. I could leave Angel with anyone and not worry. Sasha is a different story. There are only certain people she is okay with being around. If the doorbell rings, I have to make sure she is either outside or on her leash before I answer the door. I can never just go answer the door like normal people do.

If she is just a chow breed, I don't understand where this fear comes from. She has never been abused by a stranger or anyone else for that matter. She came from a farm. The farmer had found a box of newborn pups and took care of them until they were old enough to be adopted off. The farmer was a nice guy. He never would've hurt her. I don't know... I guess she could just be an ornery dog. But sometimes, when she stalks the yard the way that she does, I have to wonder.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tawnya said...

Shasha is a amazing looking dog.... Sometimes those traits are bred into the dog. Nothing anyone has done it. It just happens. But you might be right somewhere in her background may be wolf blood. I have a friend in Florida who had a dog part wolf. She was a great dog, very protective of who was in the house and hated men, which is why I made it my place of choice to hide there when my ex~husband would look for me....
Tawnya

12:05 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Is it possible for animals to have anxiety disorders?

Does Sasha like to be petted?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very neat post, Ari. Poor Sasha, she seems like a skittish little sweetheart. I guess the black wolf gets to eat the black sheep?

Great post. Now go give your dog some Zoloft:)

Happy Mother's Day

Chris
My Blog

6:42 AM  
Blogger Eastern Paranormal said...

When we go on vacation making pet arrangements is such a pain.

Happy Belated Mothers Day,

Gabreael

http://easternparanormal.blogspot.com/

3:50 AM  
Blogger BlogOmar said...

All I have to say is DOGS rule, Cat's drool. Where as Sasha resembles a wolf. The Rockstar is a bear. A big dopey bear with FANGS. MY BEAR RULES!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home