Wednesday, April 26, 2006

An Essay in Bitches

Through the last century, women have been viewed in a multitude of ways. Whether it be the "June Cleaver" image of yesteryear or "Marilyn Monroe" material girl homages, women have been out there, trying to change how we are perceived. In today's society, a more power role has been established as the new image for what a woman should be. Women have transformed from a secondary submissive role to a more assertive, aggressive dominant one. That's all fine and dandy, I applaud this. What gets me is that by changing roles, by changing the way women are viewed, we, as women, often forget what it is that we are changing this perception to.

It's fine to be assertive. It's great to be aggressive. The fact of the matter is that there is fine line there. We can try to ignore it, we can try to dismiss it, but it's there, it's there waiting for us to acknowledge it. THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN AGGRESSIVENESS AND BITCHINESS. There, I said it.

Not so long ago, one could find me admonishing the b-word, because I felt it held us back. Why should we call each other that horrendous oppressive word? At that time, I refused to admit to another women being a bitch. Maybe she was having a hard day, maybe something awful just happened to her, maybe she had it rough... Or maybe, she really was a bitch and I just refused to admit it, because to call her one was to acknowledge this behavior in myself.

Whether it's Omarosa from The Apprentice or Janice Dickinson from whatever mindless show she happens to be on at the moment, I am starting to hear a certain phrase reverberate throughout the social classes. "Why is it that when a man is aggressive, he is applauded, yet when a women is aggressive, she is called a bitch?" While I will admit that there are times when men call women that to make up for things which they do not have, why is that women are unwilling to see that maybe, just maybe, these women are being called bitches, because THEY ARE? I'm sorry, but it walks like a bitch and talks like a bitch, chances are it's not a duck.

What I really mean to say is: Stop using that excuse for poor behavior!

Because to use that excuse is basically saying that women cannot be aggressive and assertive without being bitchy. And that is just not true. One can make their way through this world and even to the top without having to behave in a catty, disgusting manner that is often portrayed right before someone starts shouting that excuse from the rooftops.

So now, I call it like I see it. If I see a powerful woman conducting herself in a favorable way, I will say so. If I see a powerful woman conducting herself in a non-favorable way, I will say so, too. I'm no longer afraid of the b-word and all it entails. I am not afraid to admit that I, too, often succumb to bitchy behavior. And if it means that I am called a bitch, I accept that. I won't make excuses for myself, or rail at men, as if they are the ones to blame. We need to stop being afraid of this word. Instead, let's use it to better ourselves. Let's use it to look inward and ask, "Am I being a bitch?" Because just maybe, at that moment in time, we were. Let us curb the bitchiness, check it at the door. The sooner we do that, the sooner this word will no longer hurt us.

The truth is that just because women burned their bras and brought ourselves up the social ladder, does not mean that we are immune from the "bitch" label. If I see one of us acting in this manner, I will tell them, much in the same way I'd tell a girl that she had spinach stuck in her teeth. It is NOT becoming, it is NOT attractive. It is NOT the image that we should be trying to portray ourselves as.

So come on, ladies, stop using this excuse. Be proud, stand up and be a real woman.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo *claps*, well said hon and well written! We didn't get emancipated just to allow the vermin to climbup the pole with us and crap it all the hell and back, a bitch is a bitch is a bitch, always will be, but for the rest, there is a deal of rock on and a modicum of go girl waiting to be lauded and loved.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!
GOOOOOOOOOOOO ARI!!!!!

You are 100% right. Plus being a bitch as a way of life, just gets old...and lonely.
THere is a time and place and it is that card that should be played when needed...Love this!

hmmm...geeee scrambling to think If I said or did anything bitchy lately...

I think I'm coo...

GREAT GREAT ENTRY!!!!!!!!!

Peace

9:09 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

Truth be told, when I see a man behaving hyper-agressively, I don't find it manly behavior at all. I find it assholeish behavior.

But here's the thing. There's no word for men, at least in English, that has the same connotations, the same reference to another, "lower" species that bitch has. Pig, perhaps, but some men wear that as a badge of honor. Horse's ass, but that doesn't convey the same sense of meanness.

Words do have the power to hurt.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

To be honest, I sometimes embrace my bitchiness. But I am aware of it and I warn those who may cross my path, and if a man or anyone else calls me one, I just say " And you are just realizing this?" Usually, it renders them speechless and I can get on with my day. Tawnya

8:34 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

I'm sorry, but it walks like a bitch and talks like a bitch, chances are it's not a duck.


I love it!

Janice D. is not only a bitch but she's insane as well.

But, yeah, it's a shame that a double standard does apply to successful women, that somehow they are less "female" for being successful in the business world.

besides, after being held beneath a glass ceiling for, oh say, FOREVER, it's no wonder you are all a tad bitchy about it!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

So true, So true

Still, its a word, I choose not to use.

8:31 AM  
Blogger BlogOmar said...

In the immortal words of NWA.

A bitch is a bitch
no matter poor or rich
I'll talk to her in the exact same pitch...

I have no idea why I put that there. Take no offense.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Are you saying that the AFLAC duck is a bitch? Why you........

I totally agree with ya here. A male that acts like Omorosa would be an asswipe or bastard and a male that acts like Janice D......well, he would just be effin' nuts, like she is.

So, were you pulling for Tim S? Gracie or Hughes? I like Matt but Royce is hard to go against.

Chris
My Blog

6:48 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I think by applying the term Bitch with the gender specific connotations that you list, you are in fact solidifying the word and pigeonholing that behavior as female specific. If the behavior is in fact bad, why must there be a distinguishing gender word to label the bad behavior? The labeling is what does the woman injustice because it brings more to the table than her at the moment bad behavior. If one really would like to call a duck a duck, one would say she is genuinely misbehaving and is acting in an insufferable manner. Men can genuinely misbehave and act in an insufferable manner, why must the sex of the offender take precedent over the crime?

2:12 AM  
Blogger Ari said...

Because "bitch" is a female word. I mean, I guess you don't have to have it be so, you could call a guy a bitch, but it's not the same. Frankly, if one were to find a word to bring a guy down as much as the b-word brings a girl down... well, I'd say "pussy" does just that. You could call a girl that, but who cares? Call a guy that... and that's a whole different ball park. It emasculates them. So there are gender-specific type words that can hurt just as much. I don't make the rules, it's just the way things are. Ask any guy if he'd rather be called a bitch or a pussy and see his response. And yeah, it is part of the whole stereotypical gender-roled upbringing. Boys, be manly. Girls, be lady-like. If you can tell, I'm probably the last girl to be ladylike, so that's how much credit I give to that.

The sex of the offender doesn't take precedence. If I saw a guy being an asshole, I'd call him one. But that's my whole point. Women use this "why is it that a guy is applauded for being aggressive, while a woman is called a bitch" excuse. And it is just that: an excuse. One can be an aggressive person without even trampling into bitchy territory. But if one were acting in a bitchy manner, one has to expect to be called out. So why get offended over it?! Names and labels only hurt if you allow them to. People will always be out there naming, labeling, stereotyping - that's never going away. Let's be real here. So instead of allowing this word to offend me, I choose to instead use it to better myself. I can go around your whole life being offended at this word, and no one's going to care but me. (And if you ask me, bitch isn't even the worst word one can call a woman.) Instead I will own the times when I have acted like one. I will be accountable for it. It's no longer going to hurt me, because I have already claimed it.

Ari

4:06 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

If one’s bad behavior is to be highlighted (labeled), there is no purpose to distinguish his or her gender unless you want to designate that behavior as gender specific. There is no bad behavior that is gender specific, therefore, the distinction is not necessary and cannot contribute anything to the naming of said behavior but arbitrary connotations. The same goes with owning a gender specific term, if one must own the gender specific term it has to be because they want the connotations that come with that designation. It is an unnecessary distinction and perpetuates gender stereotypes.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

The behavior isn't gender specific at all and no where have I said so. I give examples of ladies, because, frankly this word hurts us a hell of a lot more than it hurts men. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt men or that men are not affected by it, I'm just saying it's not the same to call a man a bitch, as it is to call a woman one.

As for owning it, I meant that I am owning the behavior, whatever bad behavior I may have. If that behavior has made me a "bitch", then I accept that. I'm honest about it and refuse to make excuses for myself. It does not have to mean that I want the connotations that come with it. It only means that I am willing to look inward to see if there's validity BEFORE I go projecting outward. It may not be a necessary distinction to you, but it is to me.

As for perpetuating gender stereotypes, I don't think that calling a woman a bitch when she goes on tv and acts like one is perpetuating anything. That is exactly what is wrong with this society right now. Everyone is so afraid to say the wrong thing. Everyone is supposed to be so darn "PC", that the actual behavior is lost in semantics. We lose focus of the behavior and instead focus on the word itself. Well, if we nullify the word, it'll lose its meaning and no longer be hurtful. If as a society, we keep on gasping at the word "bitch", it's never going to lose anything. It's going to keep it's potency. I refuse to become offended by this word NOT because there aren't any people out there that belittle women, but because I CHOOSE to no longer let it get me down. If that is perpetuating
gender stereotypes, then so be it, but I'm not losing any sleep over the word anymore.

Ari

8:20 PM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

Ari, this is my first visit to your blog. What a great entry you have written.

I think you are on the money with everything you wrote. I could not agree more.

But, I am not a big fan of the whole politically correct way of speaking. I call 'em as I see 'em, regardless of whether or not it is pc.

Again, nice job!

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home