Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Voice Unheard

December 1988

We began preparing for our Christmas music show at school. Our teacher, Mr. Holcolm, was a very fine pianist, having been on television many times for his talent. I loved that teacher. He let us sing songs from musicals, which was right up my alley, because who doesn't love Oliver?! And I loved it. I loved every minute of it. And I would sing my little heart out.

He came around to each of us, putting his head next to ours, so he could hear our individual voices. He had this method of punishment, where if you were disruptive, you would have to stand for the remainder of the class. Being the good sweet angel I was, I never had to stand -- until this day. He finished doing his rounds, then asked another girl named Linda and I to stand. Red-faced, I stood up, wondering what I'd done to be punished. He briskly walked to the piano, where he then ordered the two of us to sing.

Linda began singing, while I stood there in shock. After a minute, he stopped playing and gently urged me to sing without Linda. And so there I was, in front of the class, standing like I was in trouble. After a few moments, I started singing. It would have been less embarrassing if the song of choice wasn't "As Long As He Needs Me." In fifth grade, one doesn't even talk, much less sing of love. But there I was singing. After I was done, he applauded and urged the rest of the girls to sing like Linda and I. But I was far too embarrassed to continue on. To this day, I get extremely uncomfortable singing in front of others.

I can tell you with absolute honesty that I have sang with Peobo Bryson, Roberta Flack, Sheena Easton and some guy named Dino. A few of us were picked out of our school choirs to sing with them at a concert. I have sang at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis for their half-time show. Now, none of those performances were ones were I had to sing solo, so I was okay. I still can't sing alone. Not even in front of Chris.

But on some nights, when I take a late shower, he sneaks in so he can hear a few notes done in the acoustics of our bathroom. And I, knowing that this will be my only stage from here on out, am totally okay with that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my warbling was more cicumspect sometimes! There's something about that glare of eyes on you it does it to me too.....

11:44 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That was a charming story! I could feel the embarrassment of the situation.

I had to sing a solo in a musical at our church when I was a kid (one of the biggest baptist churches in the country) and I was horrified. It was a song called "Goodness" but the only line I can remember now is "Did you ever smell honey well it sure smells good".

You are a riot Ari! Nice job.

Chris
My Blog

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story. BTW - Dino is a a Christian pianist (may not be the same guy, i dunno).

1:34 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

There is something about music that makes people want to sing. I don't like to sing around people either, because I am tone death, but if I am down and I am listening to a song that I really like, somehow it just happens. I start singing, and while I am doing it I feel so much better. It may be embarrassing, but its is soothing is it not?

7:43 AM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Funny how experiences at school while we were growing up have such deepend scars in us. I had a similar situation happen to me when I was in the 8th grade. Haven't sang since.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home