Friday, October 27, 2006

Sacrifices

I'm sitting here alone. My husband is off on a mission, my son is at school. Then he will go to a friend's house to spend the night. I, on the other hand, have to work later. I feel like they've left me behind. I do not like this feeling. It is only exacerbated by the fact that in November, my Chris will be riding onto a stage with Lee Greenwood on the back of his bike. Um, hello, in case Mr. Greenwood doesn't know, that's MY spot. AND I HAVE TO WORK. So I can't go.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE
STOMP STOMP STOMP
POUT POUT POUT
And if all that wasn't bad enough, I can't take Kade to Halloween party at church, because I'm working. I will be working on my anniversary -- you know, the magical day where everyone celebrates my anniversary by dressing up in scary costumes. The good thing is that I will get off early enough to get an anniversary dinner in there. Still, it's going to be hard to fit trick-or-treating in the same night. Add that to the fact that I will be missing a parent-teacher conference at school, as well. I've never missed one of those! Because who doesn't like hearing how great your kid is? So Chris gets to do that instead. He will never ask all the right questions, sigh.
And really, it's all about control. I am used to controlling certain situations that I can now no longer control. I have to let it go. Let Chris take on some of my responsibilities. But it's hard. Last night, I came home to find dishes backed up on both sides of the sink, down the counters and onto the stove. I have to tell myself, "Ari, you told them not to touch the dishes, because you were afraid they'd load them into the dishwasher incorrectly." So I did them all, cursing myself the entire time. Then, in Cub Scouts, they began learning different knots. It really got to me that Chris was able to teach Kade in a matter of minutes, when I had all that trouble with Kade tieing his shoes.
But you know what? After all is said and done, when I come home from work, I hear footsteps pounding down the stairs. I see an overjoyed kid, who wraps his arms around me. We tell that we missed each other. We are still adjusting to the separation, Kade and I. My Chris makes sure I have cold Mt. Dew. My Kade offers to massage my feet. AND HE DOES! The other night, he even kissed one and I have to say, it was the sweetest thing I ever witnessed. So what if I have to make a few sacrifices here and there? It all evens out in the end.

9 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

One thing I know about working in a grocery store is, that it's like working as a mailman but worse. Through Rain and shine, and snow. For us, lets not forget the holidays. I've worked every single holiday this year, and last year, and the year before that...etc.

Full-timers at my job get the holiday's off because there overtime is more than ours.

The only holiday I get off is Christmas, because the store is closed. Christmas Eve is the killer.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Hey..... Don't they (Lee Greenwood, etc) know that the world revolves around you??? Shheesh!!! I think you have every right to Grumble!!

Seriously though, making that transition to working is hard... You have to pick and choose what's important and some things you just gotta go, "WTH and give up on." I know when I'm working some things just have to be allowed to slip a little cause I'm not giving up the important stuff!

Hang in there.... payday sorta makes it worth it...

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transitions are tough! I am going through one doosey myself? Did I spell that correctly?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Tigger said...

I know it is hard to make the transition. I am about to d othat myself as I found a job finally. So I can relate. Tawnya

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

transitions are tough. but you guys will do it :] although you do deserve to pout about the motorcyle ride!
xox ♥

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It certainly helps when you are surrounded by people who can do nothing but rock. :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is so sweet, Ari. I'm glad that you are managing the new schedule as well as you can!

PS: I am sure Lee Greenwood has NOTHING on you;)

Chris
My Blog

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greenwood HAS nothing on you!!!! Transitions are always tough....I, too, am re-entering the work-world and I am terrified!!! 6 years is a long time yo be away, but we all get through it.... you will too....

You are the strongest woman I know here; YOU SHALL PREVAIL!!!! Penny

P.S. ( HUGS for the heartache... I KNOW and I am here for you beloved ARI!!!) Me, again....someday I'll learn to shut up, but not today....

9:20 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Adjusting to your new schedule in life will take some time, but you have family that loves you. For your family to be greeting you at the door is awesome! I'm not so sure I wouldn't call in sick on the day of the motorcycle deal...that is your spot! I know I'd be pissed if someone else was riding in my spot on the back of my guy's bike! ;)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home