Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Educated Idiot

The school receives 47 boxes of donuts. There are fifty donuts to each box. They end up using 46 boxes. How many donuts are left?

***
This was a math question on Kade's homework last night. I, being well versed in mathematics, started to show my son how to solve the problem:
47 x 50 = 2350
46 x 50 = 2300
2350 - 2300 = 50
There are fifty donuts left.
That was about the time my son looked at me and said, "Yeah Mom, you can do all that. Or you could've just noticed that they had one whole box of donuts left. Since we know that there are fifty donuts per box, we already know the answer is fifty."
D'oh!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha! Awesome mathematics trumped by the ace in the hole, love it.
Have a great thanksgiving hon.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if you want to take the easy way out. You just proved that there were, indeed, 50 per box. Teach the boy that you can't always take things at face value. ;)

12:00 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Too funny! Sometimes in life, you to can to things by different routes. Good lesson to learn. And cute that Kade was able to show you he knew a different way to get the answer.

6:54 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Argh! Boy am I tired... my fingers did NOT type what I was thinking! lol I meant to say, "sometimes in life, you can get to things by different routes"... Anyway! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Mmmmm doughnuts (drooling)!

My high school teacher used to use everything but the kitchen sink.

Lollipops, balloons, cars.

I miss Mrs. Densmore.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I get the feeling Trevor and Kade will rule the free world in 2020.

Oh who cares. You, your Chris, Alexis, and I will live well?

Another margarita? he he

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is one smart kiddo!
I hate math--I would have never gotten that--seriously. I'm terrible at it!
Hope you had a great thanksgiving! ♥

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

YEah Mom! lmao

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home