Sunday, May 21, 2006

Damn Kids

We live on a heavy traffic street. Because of this traffic, I am loathe to let Kade play in the front yard by himself. You never know. I must say that despite there being a bar about a block away, ordinarily, we never hear anything after nine at night. It's a pretty quite town. Well, usually...

Last night around midnight, I laid down in bed. I wasn't going to sleep, more like catching a second wind before the late night hours. Both dogs were inside, but it was Angel that started barking up a storm. I couldn't figure out why. If someone is at the door, Sasha usually goes nuts too. Well, this was enough to prompt me out of bed. Angel was barking, because Chris was letting Sasha outside without letting her go too. Ok, cool, I get it now. But why was Chris awake?

As it turns out (I couldn't hear it apparently), there was a commotion outside that woke Chris up. He let Sasha out, so she could guard the yard. In front of our house, about thirty youths were fighting in the street. One was screaming at another that he'd broken a bottle upside his face. Kade came downstairs, but I made him stay in another room. Someone started yelling about a gun, so I got the phone and Chris called the cops. As soon as the sirens started wailing, they all ran for the cars which were parked alongside the road. These kids were in the friggin' street, blocking traffic and everything. Not one of the other cars attempted to do anything. They just drove around them. Crazy, isn't it?

I guess the kid that got a bottle smashed against his head went to the hospital in an ambulance. After watching all this, I heard something in the background. I asked a neighbor what that noise was. (I realize I sound like a complete fogey for saying that, but I couldn't hear it distinctly to make out what it was.) Apparently, there was some sort of band at a school that was playing music loudly (well it had to be loud if I could hear it more than a few blocks away). And there was beer there. So I'm guessing that's where all this started. My question is, why the hell would a school have a band playing at midnight at night while serving beer?! Hello!?

Crazy, just crazy, I tell ya.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, thats insane hon, beer at a school and midnight music? damn they need a serious look a how they are running that place. Just unbelievable how people think they can just ass up the neighbourhood at will, makes me so angry.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh come one, with all of the drop outs these days, didja really thing "Free Beer and Hot Wings Day" was a bad idea to get kids in school?

I agree with you about Trev and Kade.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Especially at a school! Kids act like fools, especially when alcohol is involved. We had similar situation last year, but instead of a concert at a school, there was a house party. Hords of kids were everywhere, and there was a gun shot fired. Luckily it wasn't fired at anyone. I called 911 and the operator said rudely that a patrol car was already sent.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Crazy indeed! Can't say we've ever had that kind of excitment around here, but...the kids across the street have been known to sit outside at all hours revving the engines of their cars and bikes (all seeming to have amplifiers strapped on for maximum effect). Beer and kids, now that's a recipe for unpredictability (been there, yup I have)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! This would have scared the bejeezes outta me!
Judith

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have scared the sh*t out of me, too! - Julie -

10:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What, no entry in almost a week? Shame shame, Ari. (kidding)

That is so cool about your brother. You'll have to keep us informed.

BTW....have you checked all of your windows? Was that the door bell?

Hope you and Chris have a nice ride this weekend. Alexis and I are off shortly to ride our bikes....ours don't have an engine though, ha ha.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

Wow! That is frightening. And I wouldn't think it would be legal for alcohol to be in a public school. It isn't here where I live.

The entire situation is scary, reckless, and uncalled for. Geez, now I sound old as hell!

Nikki Ü

12:25 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

thats nuts

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home