Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So much I wanna say

The thing about best friends is that they can talk for years and never run out of things to say. Char and I are much the same, but we also have quirky conversations too. For example, Jack Wild died a little while ago. This was heartbreaking to the both of us, as we'd just looked up his picture to see what he looked like after he grew up. We both love looking up child actors to see what they look like now.

The other day, one of the greatest movies of all time was on tv. So I had to look up one of the actors to see what he looked like now:


Does this ring a bell to anyone? Can you place him? No? OK hang on,


Now do you know who this guy is? Pretty awesome, huh? It's Short Round for you Indiana Jones fans, Data for you Goonies fans. He grew up. Sigh. He was my favorite Goonie. Right alongside Chunk.

My son is downstairs trying his best to bring his fever down. He hates missing school. He is upset because he knew that going on vacation meant no perfect attendance record for March. And now being sick means no perfect attendance record for April too. Plus he's missing out on the last installment of the state test for second graders.

Let me go into this test for a minute. I am not a big fan of the "No child left behind" act. Sure, I agree that in theory, it sounds great. But in practice, it doesn't work. They give these kids these statewide tests to ensure that they all know what they've been taught. My son will get high scores on this test. He always does. This SHOULD mean that they will teach him a more advanced curriculum to be at his level, BUT IT DOES NOT. The teachers will keep him on par with the other kids in the class, because his high scores pull the curve up, therefore making them more money for the school.

Combine that with the fact that we all know that these tests do not go against their normal grades, right? Or so we thought, but they still get held on their permanent record. Which is what the teacher told my son. Which is why on Sunday night, my seven year old son was up at four in the morning with test anxiety. I told him that the test really doesn't matter, but he was insistent that since it was on his permanent record that it was a big deal. Why do they do that? They shouldn't have put so much pressure on these kids. That really pissed me off.

And now he's sick. Which means, he's missed the last day of testing. Sure, he'll be able to make that up and all. It just upsets me that he's downstairs (in the basement, the coldest place in the house) willing his fever to go down from a 102 degrees so that he can take this test. That test can be shoved up his teacher's ass for all I care. Permanent record... who tells a kid that? Disgusting.

All right, I got that rant out. Sorry but it just needed to be said.

As far as I go, I have noticed that I tend to read blogs that I recieve alerts for first. I don't recieve alerts for all the blogs I normally read, so this means that somewhere along the line, I've been slacking lately. I promise to get to the blogs that I've missed. I feel guilty about it and all. I should be a better commenter and all that jazz. I promise to be better!

Ok, I'm out. I'm gonna go drag my son out of the basement and lie to him that his temperature is normal now. Sigh.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I hope you know that this will go down on your Per-ma-nent record...
Oh yeah?
Well don't get so distressed...
Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?
-Violent Femmes

Poor Kade....I hope his fever breaks soon. Your kid is so damn cute.....almost as cute as Trevor (ha ha ha....parents are always objective about that, right?)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Emily Suess said...

Hope everyone's feeling chipper soon.

And I didn't know Journals Editor Joe was a goonie!! I loved that show.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Awwww Hope the littl eone feels better soon! I always wish it onto myself, I hate seeing the kids sick...

HEY....That is exactly what I thought...Journal Editor Joe...lol

Be well! We will be here!

Jo

4:28 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Man, that is a high temperature, I hope your son feels better.

The teacher had no business telling him that it goes on his permanent record. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking. It's sad when money is more important than education. Sometimes it seems like there is so much money being spent on extra curricular activities at school and not enough on education itself. A couple of years ago, my high school built a two million dollar football stadium, with concession stands.

LOL I thought that was Joe too. Hmmm, are you sure he isn't trying to keep a secret.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

You know the kid who comes to school and tells the other kids that there is no Santa Claus because his parents are too grinchy to go with it, so they told him that? Well you should be the parent that tells your kid that there is no permanent record! I fell for that a few times in boot camp, before the light bulb came on.

I do hope by now the fever is down. I get so worried when they start having those fever induced dreams.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

When my son was in 3rd grade (he is in 5th now) they have a test in Florida much like the one you talk about. The FCAT. He doesn't do well on tests to begin with and couple that with learning issues in math and language arts, it spelled trouble. The teacher told them from the start that if they didn't score a 2 or higher they were not being passed into 4th grade, talk about a stressful year!!! The only thing that saved him was he was in special classes for his learning issues and they didn't have to take the test timed. He passed and he was so proud of himself and we were proud of him too!! Poor Kade, they put too much emphasis on those stupid tests. Tawnya

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! GOONIES! Awww, that just made my night! I loved that movie as a kid, and was so scared, too! LOL!

4:29 PM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

The worst part is that there is pressure on the kids beginning in kindergarten. Can you imagine what it's like having a kindergartener who doesn't like school?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

With any luck and Karmic influence, your son will pass on whatever he's got to that idiot teacher so that HE gets sick. What a goof

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Kade is feeling better now and that he stuck it to those damn teachers! And Jack Wild, that was a downer hon, but all I can say at this stage is Kirsten Dunst.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home