Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The gift of sound and thighs

I was over at Tawnya's blog, where she talked about how music was a very important part of her life. She has inspired me to talk about some of the presents I got for Christmas.

Let me back up a step. I'll be the first to say that sometimes I am the biggest spoiled bitch in the universe. I have accepted that part of myself. I am not above throwing a temper tantrum. That's the part of me that I have grown ashamed of, but I can still admit when I'm an asshole.

So let's back up to last year, when I found out that my Chris got me a PS2 for Christmas. I threw the mother of all tantrums. After I was done pounding my fists and kicking my feet on the floor, he became so confused and apologetic that he spent upwards of $1500 solely on me, including a dishwasher and a yorkie. I think I had gotten him a game for his pc. Yeah, I felt like the biggest asshole. And I was. I was a huge assholic bitch. I admit it. I formally and officially apologize to my Chris.

Needless to say, this year I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Ya know, if you get me nothing this year, I won't be upset or angry, as you went above and beyond the call of duty last year."

He gave me an "Oh yeah right. I'm not falling for THAT one look."

But I was serious. I let him off the hook this year. No gifts for me. And I was okay with that. But he wasn't. I began to get a little dismayed when I saw a few gifts under the tree for me. And then after a fabulous night of watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, the gifts for me under the tree increased. If you don't know already, that movie is a serious aphrodisiac. Just trust me on that one. I kept telling him over and over, "Baby, really, you don't have to." But I think it became a mission for him.

It was less about me and more about outdoing himself from the previous year. How can you outdo a yorkie?! There is one way... (But don't get me wrong, I still love my Angel with all my heart.)

We opened all our presents on the eve of Christmas, being that we wouldn't be home to do it on the actual day. I had all these presents and I had only gotten him one thing. AGAIN!! Luckily enough, that one thing was a really good gift. I got him the Time Life 70's set of music, about five cds worth. He was very happy and annoyed me with it the rest of the night. I still have "Ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka" stuck in my head.

So what did he get me? I got him music and he got me new headphones. Do we think alike or what? I can't even begin to explain how precious this gift is to me. For someone that can't hear well, getting headphones is like putting mini speakers right next to your ears. It's GREAT! My old headphones had gotten so old that one side didn't even work. I didn't mind it, they were my ghetto headphones. I used them anyway. But now I have new ones. The first time I plugged them into my computer and listened to music, my eyes were as big as saucers. I could hear the music in all it's glory. It is amazing. In fact, I have them on as I type this.

I also got a few games, a Eurythmics cd (Thanks Char!), a scrapbook kit, a pizza maker, new pots and pans to replace the ones I burned all to heck, new dishes and a brand spankin' new video card. WOOT! Now after a solid year of patience, I can finally play Sims2. For all you Sims fans that can't get this game to work, it's probably your video card. For some reason though, Ages of Empires 3 won't install, but I'm not going to complain. Instead, I'll be patient and wait another year. Ya know, because by Murphy's Law, there's always going to be ONE game that won't work. Besides, if I get too impatient, I can always go down and play it on Chris' computer.

Kade got his dinosaurs and army men. I had written a letter from "Santa" and mailed it to our address. Kade liked that. I did as I said I would and hid the dinosaurs behind the tree.

"Kade, isn't there something missing?"

"I didn't get the dinosaurs, but that's okay. Look at all the other stuff I got! Maybe next year."

Obviously, this kid has learned nothing from me.

"But don't you WANT the dinosaurs?"

"Well, yes, but that's okay. I'm happy with what I got."

Did they switch babies at the hospital or something? Is this MY kid?

"Oh Mother Theresa, go look behind the tree!"

And he did. And he opened it. And his face contorted with sheer joy.

"I got them!!!!! I got the dinosaurs!"

Whew. I was worried there for a minute.

He also got an abundance of Bionicles, which are an offshoot of Legos. They are far more complicated than Legos. To tell you the truth, both Chris and I looked at the directions, handed them back to Kade and said, "You're on your own." Somehow, the kid managed to build a huge roboman all by himself. I was really impressed.

All in all, it was a great holiday season. I would talk about all the fun I had finding and giving just the right gifts but there are some that haven't gotten theirs yet, despite the fact that I had them sent a month ago. Sorry, Char.

I also adored all the cards I received. Thank you to everyone that sent me one, each and every one of them was like getting a gift. I loved them all.

Now that it's all past, there are new things to look forward to. Namely, the Winter Olympics. Now I don't know what this means to you, but to me, Winter Olympics means great thighs. I'm looking forward to these:



That's Apolo Anton Ohno, in case you were wondering, who is the king of all great thighs. *drool* So yeah, let's ring in the new year on that thought. This year HAS to rock, by those thighs alone.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome haul! hehehehe he rocks does Kade, and yummy to speed skaters and np on the prezzy, it will be here very soon I know it! yay!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

My son is the king of legos and bionicles, he has the most complicated ones done in 10 minutes flat. Thanks for the mention btw. I solved my issue that we talked about yesterday, I hid them ALL, so now he has to ask for the, and i can say, why the hell do you ned that when I am right here?!?!?! Tawnya

2:25 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Your husband sounds like mine. And I might suggest (for next year) the Time Life Singers and Songwriters collection. Great 70s music.

I can't stop this feeling....deep inside of me...

Oh great; now I'VE got that song in my head. But what a great song it is.

And no...you can't top a pup. (Walter said so.)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

Great Christmas! I hear you on the head phones .. mine crackle and then one side will stop working then BANG it will work again.
I need a whole new computer I got the SIMS collection (all the older games) plus the SIMS2 for christmas... can't load any of them :( I miss my families! (I have hot date still installed but it won't play)

Glad you had a good Christmas.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

"I just got this feeling...deep inside of me....."

I'd kill him!

Jer was singing Seasons in the sun this morning...to annoy me! Make my ears bleed I tell ya! You are one brave lady!

Peace
Jo

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to THIGHS!!
Ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka... Thanks, it's now stuck in my head!
Julie

3:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh Ari, you are so cute! (Back off Chris.....I meant in a personality kind of way.....what? No, I don't think your wife is unattractive, I think she is pretty h....wait a second...I'm not falling for that trick either.)

This was such a charming and open entry:) It warmed my heart (or maybe that's the chili talking).

Chris
My Blog
My BigOven Page for food & recipes

6:24 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

I admit, I throw temper tantrums too, but I don't know if I would have thrown a fit over 1500 dollars worth of gifts. Ari, you got it made.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Hey I just noticed something. Where is this weeks "That's so Wrong"? I was looking forward to the laughs.

7:09 AM  
Blogger BlogOmar said...

ooga ooga ooga....ugh! What a dope haul!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Red said...

Sounds like a gran holiday. Happy New Year!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Lori @ Purple Snapdragons said...

Hi Ari - Glad to hear you had a great holiday - and got what you wanted! :)
have a wonderful new year!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home