Monday, December 26, 2005

Recovery

What were we thinking? In our infinite wisdom, we decided to travel to the Quad to visit my aunt, then head over to Peoria to visit the in-laws. Now if you don't know, the Quad is exactly three hours from here and then Peoria is an hour and a half away from there. And then it's three more hours to drive home. This meant that we woke up at five in the friggin' morning to get up, get ready and head out.

Somehow, I managed waking up before the birds. We did our travel to the Quad with no problem. It was on our way to Peoria that the strangest thing happened. We were on the entrance ramp to the highway, when two cars ahead of us swerved to the right. The first car had motioned the second car to pull over. I thought maybe one of them was having car trouble, so I looked out to see what was wrong as we slowly drove past. The driver of the first car threw open his door and began running like a bat out of hell. I can't describe the look on his face, only to say that there was definitely fire in his eyes. It was shocking, so shocking, that Chris pulled over too.

Something was not right about this. Why was he running to the second car the way he was? It wasn't just anger, this was rage. So I peeped back to see what was going on. The driver of the second car lowered his window to see what the first driver wanted, only to be pummeled by the first driver. Yeah, driver of car A began beating the driver of car B. Then driver A noticed that we had pulled over too. He ran back to his car, jumped in and drove away as fast as he could. All this happened before my husband could even get his door open.

Chris, being the fast thinker he is, wrote down his license plate number. Driver B pulled up alongside us. Chris gave him his cell phone number, so that when they called the police, he could be a witness. I should note that driver B and his passenger were both elderly, which just makes this scene all the more shocking. I made sure they were okay, before we headed back onto the highway.

Five minutes later, a state trooper called us on the cell phone so that we could give a statement. The great thing was that I'd gotten a good look at driver A and his passenger, while Chris had gotten a good look at the make and model of his car. So we gave good descriptions. The trooper told us the story matched and that he'd be putting out a warrant for the guy's arrest.

The really sad thing is that I'm sure driver A would have done more to driver B had we not pulled over as well. Once the guy knew there'd be witnesses, he ran/drove away. Thank goodness he didn't have a gun. I have no idea what started all this or if it was just a case of road rage, but that's no excuse to beat an elderly man.

It's a day later and honestly, I still can't wrap my mind around the whole scene. And it was Christmas to boot! So much for good cheer, eh? Strange people.

After that, we did have a wonderful evening with the in-laws. My mother-in-law fixed a fabulous meal. Kade sang some carols. It always amazes me at how outgoing and extroverted he is. He didn't get that from me, I'll tell ya right now. I am always very shy around groups of people.

Needless to say, we did manage to get home by six in the evening. I was asleep before nine. That NEVER happens. I was exhausted. Today, I plan on resting up. Unfortunately, Chris cannot join me, as he had to work today. Poor guy. Don't worry, I'll take care of him later, hehe.

I hope all of your holidays go smoothly and peacefully with no road rage drivers to mar your season. I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season.

With much love,

Ari

10 Comments:

Blogger Tawnya said...

I am glad you had a good day. Mine was good, just a lot of family fights. I can tell you, I was ready to bolt out the door, I am not good when people are yelling. I had way too much of that in my other life. Tawnya

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an ass, I hope the police cach tha dude and throw the book at him! You guys rock for pulling over.
Happy Holidays hon!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is so bizarre. I hope the guy get's butt raped in jail by a well hung bull. Chris is such a great guy, really. Everytime you write about him, I have more and more respect for him. Your Chris is my Alexis, which is the ultimate compliment I could give him.

Otherwise, I am glad that you had a good Christmas.

Chris
My Blog
My BigOven Page for food & recipes

3:31 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

That was a bit extreme. I wonder what the guy's problems was. I hope they catch him. I just hope that this didn't ruin the ederly couples Christmas.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Oh My! That is terrible! Geesh...
And that is one of the reasons we stay home...
Yet there is a strange quality of what if...
Thankfully you were there..
Damm

Glad there are people as you and Chris, not many wouldve stopped..

This would sit with me for days as well. Keep us up on it, okay?

Peace
Jodi

5:33 AM  
Blogger Galen Brannagh said...

Ahhh, peace on earth. I am glad that y'all stopped and that you reported it to the Law. Wish it'd happened down here in the South. Driver A woulda been subject to a country ass-whoopin'.

Otherwise glad to know you and yours had a happy and safe Yuletide! Fa la la la la!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Wow, what a bizarre adventure. I'm so glad you stopped.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take away Driver A's eggnog and spit in his tapioca! This is just such an awful thing to witness, Ari. I would have nightmares! Jeepers, I hope Kade didn't see any of this. I'm glad you and My Chris were on your toes and able to give a clear description of the car, license and the meanie himself.
Judith

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ass was arrested approximately 1 hour later and was charged with assault and battery.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I wonder if they knew each other. Like if it was an ass whipping the son had planned to give his father for years! LOL! Okay, I know that was bad.


Happy New Year!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home