Monday, March 27, 2006

Ari's Amazing Travels: North Carolina

It seems I've been missing for the past two weeks. Some of you may have noticed this. Some may not have. For the latter, kiss my butt, I missed you too. Heheh. So where have I been? Here, I'll give you a little hint...



But first things first. We started off by loading the car with everything you can possibly think of, even the dogs. Yes, they came, too. We drove round trip. Our first stop was North Carolina to visit with my mother for a few days. We drove to Kentucky, then Tennessee. So after driving through Nashville (where I had a mini panic attack, because I hate when drivers surround my car, especially on a highway), we made it to the border of North Carolina. This is the point where after almost twelve hours of driving, Chris was too tired to go on. So I took over driving at this point. Do you know what is at the North Carolina border? Mountains. Not just any mountains, the Smokey Mountains. And I got to drive through it. Needless to say, although breathtaking, by the time I was through the mountains, I was reduced to tears. That shit is scary. It doesn't help that people drive like maniacs. Imagine driving in an area where if you go a foot to the left, you fall down a mountain. Yeah, scary stuff.

Eventually (after 17 hours) we made it to Mom's house, where we were rewarded with a comfy bed and good food for a few days. She was adamant that we go to the beach. John drove us to Atlantic Beach, where Kade and I touched the ocean for the very first time. It was amazing. And really, really cold.


Kade watches the waves come in.


Hitchcock would've been proud. Birds, everywhere, birds.


Kade watches a parasailer glide through the water. It was at this point that we saw a fin in the water. Chris swears it was a shark fin, but I think it was a dolphin. Chris was quite the alarmist being that he is petrified of sharks. I fancy them quite a bit, though.


This is the pier. Now something quite interesting happened on the pier...


These guys caught a sting ray. They were fishing off the pier and caught a friggin' sting ray. Weird! Anyway, both were too afraid to touch it, so Chris shuffled it back into the ocean for them. Don't worry, the sting ray is okay after his little trip to the pier. We made sure he swam away safely.

I must note that it was far too cold to swim (for me anyway, but I did notice some brave parasailers out there). So we collected shells for the afternoon, before making our way to a local restaurant called The Sanitary Restaurant. Now when I saw the name of this place, my first thought was "That's so wrong!", but now that I think about it, maybe it's a good thing that they pride themselves on cleanliness. Afterall, we ate there. I told my mother not to order crab legs. I was trying to get through the meal without anyone ordering them, but no, she would not listen to me. So she and Kade wrestled over them, until she finally gave up and gave him some. I kid you not, the kid was trying to grab them off her plate Helen Keller style. And no, I did not just sit back and let him do this. I tried to get him to behave, but there were crab legs and there are times when parents can do everything and still have a willful child. This was one of them. When we left the restaurant, Kade's belly was sticking out over his pants. He ate so much. Darn child.

After a few days of rest and relaxation, we started the second leg of this trip.

To be continued...

8 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

I'm glad your back, and that you had a wonderful time, can't wait for part two.

Kade must really like crab legs. LOL

To see a sting ray, that was one of my favorite fish as child. They looked cool to me, and the name inspired a character that I created for a short time with my Marvel Universe Dice Role Placing Game

8:02 AM  
Blogger ~Rebecca Anne~ said...

Well you know, when it comes to crab legs all sense of mannerers fall straight into the sea, thats the rules.
Thats the first time you've seen the ocean?? You need to head back when it's warm and fuzy outside so you can pull up a beach chair, enjoy the sunrays and just let it all absorb into you!
I'm with you, I hate driving scary mountains, but it's all part of my world, no choice. I just focus really hard on the lines in the road and pray for mercy.

Disney? Ok, waiting for the next segmant and WELCOME BACK!!!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*jumps up and down and jumps on teh Ari*
weeeeeeeeeeee! welcome home! more more more stories!
Yay! you got a touch of the ocean, man thats the best! When I see you remind to me to compare with you the Smokey's wth the Southern Alps, we can scare each other silly!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Silly girl.... you don't go to the beach in North Carolina in March, you go in Florida!! {LOL}

Glad to see you back and I'm waiting anxiously for part 2... I'm Assuming we had Mickey spottings??

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

I am so glad that you are back!!!! Sounds like you had a great time. I had to drive through mountains to get to Michigan and I am scared of heights!!! I missed ya!!! Have fun in Florida? Must have been crazy busy as it is season there. Tawnya

2:56 PM  
Blogger Angelia Rian said...

It sounds like you a good time... Can't wait for the second chapter to this tale... :)

(And tell Kade I know *exactly* how he feels about the crab legs... I love them too...!)

12:50 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am so glad that you are back! We got your post card....YAYAYAY!

Man oh man, I have driven that stretch of I-40 many, many times between the NC/TN border and Asheville is quite a fright when you first go through there. Our first time was at night and I was petrified. We were driving like 55 miles an hour!

Now, if it is dry, I can make it through there 75 to 80 mph:x

It's too bad we didn't know you were passing through our way....we would have been right at half way and would have loved for you guys to have crashed at our house for the night. Kade and Trevor would have had a blast, although Trevor might have tried to hide in your luggage to go with you:).

Welcome home!

2:20 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

What a wonderful trip!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home