Sunday, January 22, 2006

Level up

The funny thing about life is that sometimes, when you really look back, it's all about the people along the way. Each individual person can leave their mark on you, changing the reality of what it is to be you. A memory, an impression, a belief, if reflected on often enough can impact who you are. Each of us has this capacity.

When I think back to various stages of my life, I remember not only the key people in that era, but also random people I've met along the way. Whether it be the fat kid on the playground that later became a high school football hero, or a stranger I saw one afternoon, if I've remembered them, then it must've been important. It must've somehow left a mark on me.

Here I am at twenty-eight. In a few months, that number will change. When you're in your twenties, you can still have a childish mentality and not really be worried about it, because hey, you're in your twenties. But thirty is right around the corner. The big 30 is a magical number. In my head, it's the number that means that, Ari, you need to grow up. Maybe that's the time when I can shine. Maybe that's the time when I can start impacting people the way that others have impacted me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I've left marks on people throughout my twenties. It's just that, chances are, those were silly, random things. Nothing philosophical, nothing mind-bending. Just pinkalicious panties and catchy phrases. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but I've got to grow up.

The last thing I want is to have my legacy titled "Spank Me Pink". I wonder if anyone remembers that one. Hehe.

I have all the stages of my life planned out, I think. Twenties are about having fun. In your thirties, that's more of an explorative phase. Forties is about saying "Fuck it, I'll do whatever I want." And fifties is about wishing you were in your twenties again. Whatever comes after that is miscellaneous catch-all area where I will pursue anything I didn't in the other stages. This works for me. Err, well, it will work for me once I get to those phases.

Weird. Now that I've written all that, I sort of feel like Doogie Howser typing away. This growing up thing is hard.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangely I never found your marks random or silly, definitely permanent though, and rockin.
Spank me pink, hehehehehe.
Thirty is like twenty, only moreso

12:34 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

This growing up thing is hard.

I agree! You feel like doogie Howser, and sometimes I feel like Ally Macbeal. I don't completely know who I am, but I am learning along the way. Actually I don't feel any different in my thirties compared to myself in my twenties. I may have matured a little bit more, and I may read more books as opposed to playing video games, but all and all I have to say i'm the same with a little more back pain. I don't think a decade change will affect you. As long as you live your life to the best you can, that's all that matters.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lori @ Purple Snapdragons said...

To stay young you should never really "grow up". Afterall, being child-like is far different than being child-ish. And that's one of the things that makes you special.
Hugs, ~ L

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 37 years old. In my mind, I feel that I am so much younger, but my body won't cooperate. it's decided that it's tired and ready to throw in the towel. :(

hugs
Lahoma

12:10 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Thirties are good, you'll love 'em! Enjoy what you have left of your twenties, but I truly believe you'll like thirties even better... and each decade will be better than the last!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

And we are heading into our 40's in a year or two......I'm glad to know it's the "fuck it I'll do what I want"......then what the hell were the 30's? Oh I remember...."Do it, I'll fuck what I want".....not that wasn't it hmmmmm

Chris
My Most Recent Entry 1/26/06
My Blog
My BigOven Page for food & recipes

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home