Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Player

Last Thursday was open house at school. My Chris was determined to get it over as quickly as possible. He had a severe case of "Don't-they-know-it's-Survivor-night"itis. When we got there, I kept seeing mother after mother. I tried to keep my chitchat at a minimum, but when we got to the classroom, the teacher and I went over schoolwork and such. Kade has a problem realizing the fact that the teacher and I teach differently. Just because I don't do things her way, does not mean I do them incorrectly. In fact, when I explained his homework to him, he understood it much better. And she is okay with that. Which is why I really really like her.

Be that as it may, Chris was getting anxious as the minutes ticked on. Kade, of course, was doing his best to greet EVERYONE in the building. One of the teachers saw him and pulled me aside.

"You know he does that everyday? He does. Even if he doesn't know someone, he will go right up and engage them in conversation in a very adult way. I can't believe how personable this kid is."

"He does that all the time," I said, "He's always been around adults."

That brought back images of a few weeks ago when we had gone to Navy Pier. We were on a PIER. You know, the kind that sometimes doesn't have railings all the way around it, so that a child could very easily fall into Lake Michigan... yeah, that kind. I had had Kade standing next to me, so that I could pass out badges. When I turned around, he was gone. I went straight into "Mommy" mode and began to panic when I couldn't find him. I began asking people if they'd seen him. Turns out, he'd seen Rose and had gone to sit next to her. He is fascinated with her. I was relieved to see where he was; she waved to let me know he was fine. After that, I made him promise to pretend we had magnetic strips on our hips, so that we always had to touch. This became a game to him, but I didn't mind, because for the rest of the day, I knew where he was.

People think it's really cute that this kid comes over to shake their hand and talk to them as if he were thirty. I do not find it so cute. It scares the hell out of me. Yes, I know he's a sweet kid. Yes, I know he talks to anyone, will make anyone feel right at home. Even a bunch of mean bad-ass bikers turn to sugar when my son is around. That does not make me feel safe. It worries the hell out of me.

We sat on opposite couches. I, doing my best to keep my tone commanding, told him that he cannot just go up and talk to strangers.

"You can't do that, Kade. Someone could take you. You can't just talk to strangers. And you definitely may NOT leave my side. I was very upset that day when I couldn't find you. Someone could grab you and whisk you off and what could I do? Someone may want to keep you,"I finished with, "Everyone loves you."

And he very lazily rolled over onto his back, his head hanging off the side of the couch. He, suddenly grinned and murmured, "I know."

For a split second, I saw myself. For the life of me, I couldn't help but smile. Damn, he really is charming...

The magnetic strips are staying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You have such a great kid. Can't you just see the destiny that lies within him?

I had some moments with Trevor tonight. Damn, kids are great.

Chris
My Blog

3:55 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Wow, he is smart. And he knows he's charming. I guess you better keep an eye on him and turn those make those imaginary magnets real.

Did your husband get to watch survivor? three letters V-C-R. Thanks to your post I just remembered that I have to program mines for the season premiere of lost tonight.

Okay I am being called back to the National Geographic live cam in Africa. Kelly got me hooked on that thing. I have seen warthogs, antelope, elephants, and dragon flies.

Looks like the elephants are draining the pond.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

This was impossibly darling...and scary at the same time. I recall a similar conversation I had with my son when he was a wee one and a charmer (still is charming). I told him someone could easily take him and hide him from us so we would never see him again. His reply was, "Don't worry, Mommy, Daddy will find me and save me." I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. He had such innocence and pure faith in his father.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home