Thursday, September 28, 2006

Will Work For Paycheck

I've been looking for a job. So far, I've applied to three different places with two more prospects on the horizon. I should note that I haven't had a formal job in eight years. Yes, I've been out of the rat race for nearly a decade and my, how things have changed. Only one of the three places I applied to asked for a resume. I offered my resume to the two other places, but they don't accept them. What?! When I worked before, resumes were the backbone of the hiring process!

Not only that... Okay, when I went to interview for Gallagher-Bassett Insurance in Chicago, I had no fear. Attribute that to youth, attribute that to whatever you like, but for some reason, I had butterflies, today. Maybe it's because I haven't worked for so long. You know what I think it really is? I didn't have as much fear before, because applying to work at huge companies in Chicago around the age of twenty -- well let's just say that you can expect a few rejections. Or at least I did. It just so happens that I didn't get rejected, I was accepted immediately. But it's different now. Applying to work at Staples and getting rejected by THEM? Wow, that's a jolt to the ego. I'd like to think I'm more than qualified, thank you very much. I think that's where the nerves came in. Then I sat down to fill out the application, only to be served with a personality/morals test. And that's fine, I don't mind. But some of those questions were worded a little strangely. For example: An employee steals money. The employer fires him. Do you think the employer should NOT have fired him? Check yes or no. Wait... so do I check yes, meaning that I agree with the sentence, or do I check no because checking no means a double negative, therefore meaning that I agree with the sentence? Who writes these questions!?

There's only so many jobs in this town. I'm not prejudiced by any means. My favorite job to date was one that would probably be considered lowly. I was once sneezed on by an elephant. People always give me horrified looks when I tell that story. I don't care. Everyone's job is important. None are better than the other in my eyes, with the exception of telemarketers. (Because I did that job a few years back and I have to say, I don't envy anyone that does that job. I'm so sorry for them. It's very difficult. Be nice to telemarketers. I know they are interupting your time, but they need to do their job, too. The nicest thing you can do if you don't want to talk to them is to hang up. Don't get mad and be all bitchy. No one likes that.) So I've applied to a bank, Staples and a game store (teeheehee). Guess which one I really want. Truthfully, I'd be most happy at the game store, although it doesn't pay well. The bank probably pays the most, but man if you make one friggin' mistake... The other two prospects are gas stations. Meh, easy job. Except for that whole being held-up at gun-point thing. But really, how often does THAT happen? (Don't answer that.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes temp agencies are the answers when there is a gap in employment. It gives you recent work experience while you continue your search. Just a thought. Good luck!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Here is something else that is different.

When I got hired at my job, I had to fill out my application on paper. Now they have online applications that can either be filled out at the store, or at home on your computer. When I told people intrested in working there, some of them said forget about it, because they weren't computer savvy.

I would love to work in a video game store, it would be fun. It don't pay much though. Banks you have balance to the penny (learned from a friend). I want a job where I can do something with my hands.

6:21 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

Good luck with the job hunting! It's hard to get back into the job market, there's those bosses that feel you're too rusty from being out of the job market for so long. But, you have worked! You were Head Domestic Engineer! Balancing a monthly budget, paying invoices, meeting project deadlines, managing a team, computer literate, etc... You deserve the best job you can get!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

depends what you want right? To work somehere and make money? Or to work somewhere you like and the check is a benny so to speak?
Usually the job to get get a job, do not last long.

Good luck Ari! Heck we are hiring..but it would be a damn long commute!

;)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home