Thursday, August 10, 2006

Neurotic

Today, I found out that Kade made it in the TAG class at school. It was a complete surprise, instant elation. But sometimes I can't help but wonder if maybe I push him too hard. It only confirmed my suspicion when he expressed his own surprise.

"And just think," he said, "I made it into that class even though I didn't do very well last year."

Bad, Erika, bad. Honestly, I did become concerned last year when he brought home a test with an 89% on it. I overlooked it, thinking maybe he just had a bad day. But then he brought another home with an 80% on it and I freaked out. I demanded a conference with the teacher. She smothered a laugh, tried to reassure me that he was fine. But I freaked out. And he knew it. I wasn't disappointed in him; I made sure to tell him that. I was just disappointed, because it was a test that covered things he already knew. I knew he knew it. But the whole point is that he did do well in second grade. I freaked out over nothing. So when I heard him say that, I was really disappointed in myself.

And now he's in that TAG class. School hasn't even begun, yet I know I'm going to freak out over this class. Part of me (and this is the part that begins with a "C" and ends with an "S") thinks that I should just stand back and let him be a kid. Yes, that's great. I agree. But then my brain starts going into overdrive. What if they start actually challenging him? What if his grades go down? What if his self-esteem starts to plummet? Shouldn't I make sure he stays one step ahead of the game? Shouldn't I prepare him?

And that's not all. This year, he has a pretty teacher. I am fairly confident that I am the only mother that worries over such a thing. But you see, he already unabashedly flirts with the secretary and she's not hot at all. He'll never get any work done, now. You think I'm overdramatizing this, don't you? But you don't know that he asked to add Axe body spray to his list of school supplies. See what I mean? I am going to loathe those teenage years. I can see it already.

Each year it just gets harder. When he was a baby, I declared that he would be home-schooled. No way would I allow a public educational system to taint his existence. No way would I send him to one of those over-priced schools that push religion on him. No way. But then reality set in and he wanted friends. Sigh. Apparently, I'm not the best playmate in the world. Apparently, I hog the playstation too much to allow him ample time to play. Pfffffft, whatever. So I let him go to public school, but I pushed him in a year early just for good measure. We had a good run, until second grade. He became even more social, rushing through his work, so he could have free time to be with the kids. Inevitably, he made more mistakes that way. And now third grade is about to start... and he's taken an interest in girls. At the ripe old age of seven, almost eight.

Maybe that home-schooling idea wasn't so bad afterall. I wouldn't feel the need to push him as much, because there'd be no other kids to compete with. (I really need to stop that behavior. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I do feel that my kid is better than everyone else's. And so does he.) He'd have no one to flirt with. He'd get his work done... But let's face it. We'd end up choking each other to death in sheer frustration. So I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up, face this parenting thing and take each battle as it comes. I need to find a good balance between challenging him mentally, while still letting him be a kid. That's just a little hard to do when this seven year old sadly shakes his head at the Girls Gone Wild commercials and patronizingly declares, "Those girls need to cover their butts." The secretary may very well be right. He IS a little man. He really is.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The challenges of parent-hood. I have advice but I am not qualified to give it. It kind of scares me of when I become a parent (it will happen someday - I'm getting married in October). Trying to find the balance between helping and ecouraging with letting life teach while the parent guides). I shudder.

BTW - I think Kade shoud use Tag instead of Axe, after all, he is in TAG class now (whatever that is). ;)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Funny how we have both been questioning our parenting skills this week. It must be back to school week!

Chris

2:42 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Mom, it sounds like you are doing a great job to have such a nice little man. :o)

You will find balance. You have already taken note and realized what you have been doing.

Hang in there, there are only years and years and years more to come!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he has inherited the magnificence gene, no doubt.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

Relax....When he starts bringing home d's &f's then freak. Take this from a mom who has learned the hard way not to freak out over grades.... Just support him and help him when you can. You will know if he is really having issues... and if you develop a good relationship with the teacher it is the best thing too. She will let you know if Kade is having issues.... 80%.. Not bad.....

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you take a look at his sonogram pics, you will see, Kade was a little flirt since the day he was conceived. He has a winning smile and charming personality. Of course with all of that, he has to "smell good" lol.
Wtg Master Kade,we all are so proud of you ;)
Ari he will do fine in school, you did!!!!
Love you both

7:17 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

GO KADE!

He's doing good. 89 isn't bad at all, and a 80 is better than what I got in the 2nd or the third grade overall.

Is it me or does the "teenage" years start a little early than when we were kids.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home