Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Close Call

I can name a few close calls in my lifetime. Like the time my uncle ran me over with a mini-bike and my mother thought I was dead. Turns out, I just had a fractured pinkie. Or the time that I did ninety at four in the morning, trying to get to Peoria. How I managed to make it through that road trip alive is amazing. Or the time I fell from a skyscraper into a vat of chocolate pudding. Ok that last one really didn't happen, it was just a dream. But to me, it's still a close call, because hey I woke up and did the whole sigh of relief. The really trying thing is when it happens not to YOU, but to people you love.

So today, I went outside to help Chris load the motorcycle. Now I am all for helping out if I can. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it. But no, he was rushing and instead of holding the bike stable while I tied it down, he decided to try and tie it down himself... with NO ONE holding the bike. So when he went to pull the cable, the bike's weight shifted. I saw it all happening in slow motion. The bike was leaning, then it went straight up and over. I'd like to say I stepped in to save the day, but in all honesty I froze and gasped in horror. That fifteen hundred pound bike came crashing down on my husband. Somehow, I guess my little gasp gave him warning and he got out the way (mostly) while simultaneously saving the bike from hitting the ground. Did I mention that the bike was elevated on a trailer? Yeah.

He ended up with a knock in the head from the handlebar (ya know, the spiked ones...) and a bruised side. I'm just glad he's friggin' alive. Scared the hell out of me. The sad thing is that this is the SECOND TIME he's done this. You'd think he'd learn.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man hon, that was a close call, I am so glad he's ok! Those slow motion moments are really grotty, I've had a few too and, yeah, sucky

12:31 PM  
Blogger Galen Brannagh said...

You do the same thing I do - freeze in horror. I swear, some times those guys really can be irritating when they refuse to ask for help.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say cats have nine lives. I would say that most humans have about 30! And the tragedy is that we mostly take them for granted.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Sometimes it takes a hit on the head to wake you up.

Did you really have that pudding dream? That is so funny. Are you going to tell us about that one? I must hear it!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home