Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Moment In Time

My husband had two missions last Saturday. I didn't go. I could've gone, but I didn't, because I didn't think I could handle it. Some ass-crack of society decided to write to a newspaper that he was pissed that the Patriot Guard held up traffic, so that all the motorcycles could go through. He said it was as if anytime the Patriot Guard came to town that he felt they threw away all the rules. I read this guy's letter to the editor. And naturally, I felt that tingling in the back of my neck. The kind of tingling that makes the blood rush to my head, until I see nothing but red. And Chris, having known what kind of effect the letter had on me, told me why he gave it to me to read.

Apparently, since my last verbal bashing to a Galesburg newspaper, people started emailing him asking when I'd write again. Asking if I'd take this guy on. I would have, I'd mentally written it all in my head. The very next day, someone beat me to it. I'm happy for that. To tell you the truth, they'd never have printed what I would've said for all the vulgarity it would have been laden with.

Still, I feel the need to say that it isn't throwing away the rules to form a funeral procession. I'm so sorry that someone had the audacity to die and hold up traffic right when this shit-faced pantywaste decided to go for a Sunday drive. IS IT REALLY ASKING TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO WAIT A FEW EXTRA MINUTES AT A STOP LIGHT, SO THAT A FUNERAL PROCESSION CAN GO THROUGH?! IS IT!? No, I really want to know. Someone died and this guy complains that he had to wait? Are you fucking kidding me?

Breathe.

This. And then, I get a phone call from a small voice at the other end of the phone line. He's a Vet at the Soldier's and Sailor's home, which is a block away from my house. All he wants is a meeting. Information. I think, no problem. Then I speak more with him. Turns out, he's in the infirmerie. Turns out, he's not happy with the VFW. He has heard about the Patriot Guard and wants to meet with Chris because he fears he doesn't have long. And he wants someone to be there to honor him. Somehow, I managed to choke down the sobs long enough to set up a time for Chris to go.

If people only knew what their words meant. If only the guy that wrote that letter to the editor could hear the voice of a man planning his own funeral. It doesn't take anything to stop and give a few moments of respect. It doesn't cost anything. It really isn't a convenience. It might be annoying to you, but for one man, it may mean all the difference in the world. Is that really asking so much?

11 Comments:

Blogger Galen Brannagh said...

Ari,

On behalf of myself, my husband, and every other honorably discharged veteran in this country, THANK YOU and Chris for stepping up and doing what you're doing. THANK YOU for listening and THANK YOU for giving a damn.

It's funny... if this were back during Gulf War I or just after 9/11, there would be nobody - NOBODY - causing any problems. You'd run into no interference in your operation. But now that we're in Gulf War II and approval is low, people aren't so proud of their military anymore. It's just like Viet Nam all over again.

Rock on, lady!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Sometimes you just have to wonder what rock these people crawled out from under... Being impatient because of a funeral is going by is bad enough, but being upset because one of the people who fought and DIED for his country is going by with wonderful people like your husband forming an honor guard... I just don't have words!

Give Chris a big hug from me and tell him to keep on doing what he does.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words and actions have the power to sear, and words and actions have the power to soothe. It's unfortunate that they sear more times than they should. Keep doing what your doing, your soothing is making a difference.
J~

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for moving Sting, A Thousand Years, to the top position. All is right in my life again!
J~

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Grace. As a matter of fact I do have very good taste in music. Sting is The Bomb, wouldn't you agree?
J~

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, Grace, you are spot on with your opinion. U2 is also good. I'm reminded of their tune titled "Grace". Very nice.
J~

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ari said...

I luff teh J and teh Grace!

Ari

3:18 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Not asking much at all. These guys lay down there lives for us. The least we can do is wait at a stop light for there funeral procession. Who was that guy to complain.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is one thing that I love about small southern towns. When a funeral procession goes by, regardless of who it was, where you have to be, everyone pulls over to the side of the road and stops until it has passed.

I'm proud of you and Chris.

Chris
My Blog

6:33 PM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

Beautifully said. I expected no less from you.

Nikki

12:56 AM  
Blogger Tawnya said...

That guy is a peice of crap. HOW DARE HE???? It makes me so mad when I see people like that, I want to repeatedly bash their heads into concrete until they lose massive amounts of blood.... Whew! I feel much better now.. You an dChris do what you do and your friends will be right here behind you to help you fight the good fight.....Tawnya

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home