Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Ceremonial Flush

When we lived in Michigan, Kade was about two years old. At the time, I'd gotten a beta in a pretty bowl to help spruce up our apartment. I can't remember the name of this fish, but it must have been something grand like Prince Colorful, King of All Fish... or maybe it was George. I don't remember. After we moved back to Illinois, I gave that fish to my mother, being that I didn't think it would survive in a Ryder truck on a ten hour drive. And so it was, that we lived a fishless existance.

Until last week, that is. Kade went with this Aunt to a church function. He came home with a minnow that he'd caught. He declared it was a goldfish, but I knew better. He was quite proud that he'd caught it by hand. So I put it a decorative bowl and bought some fish food. He named it Greyg, because it was grey. To be honest, I bought goldfish food, because what does one feed a minnow? I don't think he ate it, because the very next day, Kade came and asked me, "How long do fish sleep, because Greyg's been asleep all day."

That's when I had to explain that he wasn't sleeping. Poor Greyg. Kade was disappointed, although he took it well. Chris came home and promised Kade that we'd get him a new one and he'd be Greyg 2. Then the boys gave it a ceremonial flush. And my son, having been on more than one mission of a fallen soldier, gave his little pet a salute.

Later on, he came to me, a little worried. "What will happen to Sasha?"

"Nothing, Kade. Sasha is fine."

"I hope so, because if she dies, I really don't think she'll fit down that toilet."

9 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Out of the mouths of Babes! {LOL} This reminds me of a story about a lady who was potty training and the husband wouldn't let the little boy watch him... She says "Fine, but he's been watching the dog and I don't have enough rose bushs for both of them!"

12:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I was ready for a tear jerker and then Kade pulls off the funny shit. Hilarious!!!

Second fish story I've read today:
http://ryanagi.blogspot.com/


Chris
My Blog

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sooo darned cute! I see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Kade may have caught a minnow, but did he tell you a story about the one that got away?
J~

10:43 AM  
Blogger Galen Brannagh said...

OH my goodness! Reminds me of that episode of The Cosby Show where Rudee's fish died and they all dressed up for the "funeral" and flushing. Too cute.

You have a Sasha, too? Ours is a Siberian Husky (who is in the doggy hospital right now, recovering from her spaying surgery).

5:07 AM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

OMG...what a hoot! Well, not the dead part. The other part.

Love the Sting song playing.

::hug::
Nikki

12:52 AM  
Blogger BlogOmar said...

I just spit iced coffee all over the desk.

Merci beaucoup.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, he is just too damn good!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that is what I have to look forward to one day? Thanks. There are enough horror stories out there to disuade me from having kids. Finally, I hear about something I can look forward to!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Kade's comment was cute. LOL

I hope that you get him a real goldfish, or even a beta. You make me want to tell the tale of my first goldfish.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home