Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Get It From Her

I often find myself in strange situations that I'm unsure how to get myself out of. Oftentimes, these tend to be the rather amusing stories that I put up here for kicks and giggles. After a few phone calls to my mother, I'm starting to realize that this kind of thing might be hereditary. And so, I will begin telling you the tale that was told to me a few weeks ago about how my mother ended up with a Neighborhood Watch that consisted of turkeys. Yes, you read that correctly.

***
She had noticed the turkeys had passed through her yard a couple of times. They were missing their mother. None of them were tagged; they were indeed true wild turkeys. Grown enough they were, but not quite grown up to fend for themselves completely. They might have passed through entirely had she not put out birdseed in a feeder that just happened to be perfect turkey height. So they stayed. She called me in amazement that they had stayed.

"You fed them!" I laughed back at her, "Of course they stayed!"


They became used to John and her. In fact, you could say they adopted my mother and stepfather. She didn't allow them in the house, but they did follow them wherever they went outside. Even if it was back and forth all throughout the yard as John mowed the grass, or checked the mailbox. One of them is always getting herself into trouble. My mother named her Molly.

Eventually, they began to explore. My mother's neighbors are another entry entirely. They are truly eccentric in that they copy whatever she does. My mother made a garden, did landscaping and before you know it, they all began doing it, too. So it stands to reason that the neighbors started feeding the turkeys, became friendly with them and so on. You could almost make a case that the turkeys knew who belonged in that neighborhood and who did not. So when an unaware jogger came bounding down the pavement, you can guess she was probably pretty shocked to find a flock of turkeys chasing her down. They were relentless, until she left, then they came about and strutted their way home.



Let's just say that I'll be a bit suspicious if my mother sends a frozen turkey for Christmas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily Suess said...

That's too funny. You know--those guys are kinda cute.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My inlaws had wild turkeys at their old place in Cocke County, TN (one of the most corrupt places around). They were not shy either. But when I was taken turkey hunting for the first time ever this year, those ******* were so skittish they wouldn't get within 200 yards!

But I have been told that wild turkeys keep snakes away. Don't know of that's true or not, but it's what I've heard.

Overheard at Ari's folks place at Thanksgiving 2007:
"Dear Lord, we thank thee for this Molly...errr....BOUNTY of food you have given us."

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i love it!
they are so cute!
:]

11:22 PM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird because they were smart and loyal.

Hm.

I guess they are.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Wow, I've never experienced anything like that. I've only seen a frog once. Never a turkyey. LOL

And to have them Guarding your mom's home, thats incredible.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home