Saturday, July 08, 2006

The homeless man

I saw the homeless man, again. He was walking down the street, looking quite marvelous. Apparently, I'm not the only one that recognized him, as a few cars honked. He waved and smiled at them, then continued on his way.

This made me smile. It's good to know he's okay. I don't really know him, but I did worry about him a lot this winter. I wanted to take him blankets and fruit, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I think he's in league with my Ninja postman. This spring, I saw him on the side of the road with a "will work for food" sign. That's when I got an idea.

When Chris got home, I asked him if I could have one of his business cards. He said he was out of them, which simulaneously bummed me out and ruined my idea. I told him I wanted to send the homeless man in for an interview at Chris' store. Chris said, "You already spoke to him, didn't you?"

"No. I just saw him."

"He came in, today. You had to have spoken to him."

"He did?! Brilliant! But no I just saw him, that's all."

"Unfortunately, I couldn't offer him a job. My positions are all filled, hon. I can't make up a position in order to hire him. Corporate would go nuts."

That's about the time I went on a little rant, which I'm sure made Chris feel guilty. Honestly, I do understand Chris' point, though. As much as I'd like to help this guy, I can't ask Chris to break the rules.

So it's been a year and I have been unsuccessful in my helpful attempts. I'm not going to quit, though. One of these days, at the right time and the right place, I will be able to help this guy.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jod{i} said...

Awww Ari, all good Karma, all good.
Just hasnt happened, the right one for him.
Sometimes though the reality? It comes down to him.
Not trying to be meanspirited or dash any hope...honestly.

I answered long here at the blog....

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen the original post about the guy. That is odd that he went into the store to apply on the same day you were going to send him there. The Pres claims that the economy is booming and he's added thousands of jobs, yet there are so many, that aren't getting hired.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Your kindest person than I can ever hope to be.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Bedazzzled1 said...

Such a good heart you have. You just never know when something comes up that is perfect for him.

My hubby, kids, and I help prepare and serve meals at a homeless shelter. Such appreciation in the eyes of those receiving the food. And many words of thanks from them. Yet, it's probably WE who should be thanking them for bringing a bit of a glow into our world by virtue of seeing genuine gratitude.

Helluva book (not a new one) called The Street Lawyer by John Grisham. It gets into many of the reasons why folks are homeless. Some were quite a surprise to me.

Nikki

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, you are just the most wonderful girl in the world Ari. The best heart in the best girl, just as it should be.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my eyes, this one kind gesture redeemed your sorry ass, my friend.

You are a sweetheart and all is right again in the world.
J~

9:00 PM  
Blogger BosieLadie said...

My parents are always helping out the homeless (me included, lol). I remember them going down the coast of California to hand out some simple food and items of warmth for these "trolls" as my dad used to call them. They lived under a bridge off of Hwy 1, in south Monterey County. It's people that help others that get the most out of life. Pay it forward....

9:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It was nice that you tried anyway. Maybe he could try out for Hells Kitchen...I hear their head chef was exposed as a fraud;)

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home