Monday, November 28, 2005

Laugh and the world laughs with you

Last week, as I stood on the corner waiting for my son to get out of school, this little girl began running down the sidewalk. She tripped and did a faceplant. It was the mother of all faceplants. Somehow she was okay. She got up dusted herself off and began running again.

I don't even think I can describe it accurately. I mean she fell and her face hit the sidewalk while her feet were still up in the air. It was amazing. I stood there pressing my lips together to keep from laughing out loud.

Yes, I know I'm going to hell, thank you very much.

I felt very bad for my urge to laugh. It reminded me of all the times I've watched ski accidents. I don't know what it is about ski accidents that makes me laugh. I mean, I'm horrified too ya know. It's like I'm so horrified I have to laugh at the comical way the skier is doing cartwheels down the hill. Because what else can I do? I mean I know it's not funny, but try telling your body to stop laughing. It's not so easy.

Don't you hate it when someone is trying to tell you something funny, but they start laughing in the middle of the story? So then you start laughing because they're laughing. Then they finally manage to tell you the story and it wasn't that funny afterall. Dude I premature laughed for that? Man.

What is it about a laugh? What makes some things funny to some but not others? Am I the only one that laughs at inappropriate times? What's with all these questions?

I hope I never do a faceplant on skis, because karma's a bitch. And I've got it coming to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Galen Brannagh said...

If you're going to hell for that, then you better save me a seat in that handbasket you'll be riding in! I guess we could gauge our laughter on the "no blood, no foul" rule. All's fair until somebody loses an eye, right?

As for laughing along when people laugh during their own jokes... even if they're not that funny... just hand 'em a soda and then sit back and enjoy the show when it comes out their noses. (Ewwwww) At least you'll still be entertained.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

I bet everyone laughed at least once at an inappropriate time. I have seen people fall quite alot, and I couldn't hold it in. Heck I even laughed at myself when I fell once. I don't wanna go to hell!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooops! I posted in reply to your other post here, most innapropriate!
In terms of laughter, its the holy hell of the giggle loop..... one giggle begets a trillion and all. I laugh innapropriately all the time, and if hell if half as funny as the schadenfreude up here on pergatory, then it ain't all bad.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Friedrich Nietzsche..."In heaven all the interesting people are missing."
SO I plan on saving room for all my friends ::wink wink::
I get the sillies. My daughter and I giggled for 30 minutes one night. I havent a clue what we were giggling about..but it felt good!
People get this nervous reaction, where they know it is not funny, yet they cant help with the laugh, like a synapse gone awry and laughter is used as a coping mechanism...
Why are you asking all the questions? hee hee...laughing WITH you Ari...WITH you!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

glad the little one was ok...... you made me grin.
Thank you for your words earlier today... they meant so much to me.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I was laughing. Inappropriately....isn't that a sign of schizophrenia?


Chris
My Blog
AOL Journal
Click here for recipes & food stuff

6:20 PM  
Blogger BlogOmar said...

I've been the little girl falling. You've completely scarred me for life. Thanks a pantsload.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ari,

Just had to comment on this entry!
Hysterical!!!! I've done this too many times to count...the most inappropriate was a funeral! Long story, but suffice it to say it lightened up the moment for me.
Thanks for the laughs!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

HEY!
I LOVE the background!!! It works! I need to play with mine a bit more...

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home