Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Power Of A One Hour Soak

If you've ever worked at a zoo, then changed jobs, you will notice that the coworkers aren't that different than the animals. If one were to ask me which animals I currently work with, it'd have to be chimpanzees. It is very much like that commercial with the guy that works with chimps. The chimps are having a party until the guy puts up the chart the correct way, revealing that sales have gone down. The chimps then reset the chart back to its previous state and continue with their party. The only difference in my situation is that chimpanzees by nature are actually pretty smart animals. My coworkers... not so much. Incompetence comes to mind, but I digress.

I've had the most pitiful work week. I am a very indulgent person. So when things get down, I indulge myself a little more than usual. We ate out, because cooking was far too much for my mind to handle at that point. I talked to Mom, because I needed the comfort and understanding. I soaked for an hour in the bathtub, because the dryness in the air had so ravaged my skin to the point where my legs were completely red and flaky. Gross. I got out of the bathtub and changed straight into a nightgown. Silk. Long. Gorgeous. Because I needed to feel pretty.

I went to go cuddle with my Chris, but felt a presence behind me. I turned to find my Kade standing behind me with his nose in the air. Strange child. I walked a few steps more and he followed. The dogs were going crazy because I had dared to walk into the room without acknowledging their presence. I greeted them, then continued on my way to my Chris with my tagalong in tow.

When I went cuddle up to him, Kade flopped on my lap, his nose buried in my neck.

"She smells really good, Dad."

Chris took the hint, then I had both noses in my neck.

If we lived in the animal kingdom, perhaps a few hours before, I'd have been a lioness stalking my latest kill, eyeing with great intensity this chimp who had the audacity to come within my territory. But at that moment, with my two males beside me, I had my claws tucked safely away. For that moment, I was completely docile.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't nights like that wonderful?
where one thing just really reminds you why you're here.

:]

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home